What’s so special about this resource?
This imaginative, innovative resource is perfect for teaching poetry to students in Grades 8 and 9. Designed to be used exhaustively over this period, it features detailed explanations of all major Figures of Speech, poetic devices and poetry forms, with illuminating examples and skills-focused exercises aimed at honing students’ understanding of each topic.
Exposed to relevant and thought-provoking poems from a wide range of eras, students are guided and encouraged to make the crucial links between form and meaning, and to recognise how the poet conveys mood, tone and intention.
This resource will ensure that students are thoroughly prepared to tackle the increasing demands of the English syllabus throughout the rest of their school careers.
- Perfect introduction – covers the foundations in an illuminating, exciting way
- Great value – can be used over two years (Grades 8 and 9)
- Accessible and stimulating – eclectic mix of inspiring poets from last 500 years
- Comprehensive – poetic devices and forms illustrated using over 60 diverse poems
This inspiring new resource includes:
- thorough and innovative introduction to understanding poetry
- blend of fresh, contemporary poems and recognised classics
- in-depth explanations of all major poetic forms and Figures of Speech
- practical, illustrative examples
- short, topic-focussed exercises aimed at reinforcing skill development
- longer poetry assignments that integrate key analysis skills
- broad range of stimulating enrichment tasks for use in the classroom
- thought-provoking Unseen Poetry section
- companion suggested answers CD*
* CD sold separately